Friday, January 20, 2012

Xuzhou


A couple weeks ago we got invited to a Chinese New Year celebration for one of ESCO's factories in Xuzhou. We decided to make a weekend out of it and took a 2 1/2 hour train ride north for 2 days. We stayed at a hotel that is on a lake and though it was cold it was still beautiful.


Notice this Santa says "Feliz Navidad" on it!


Friday night the kids had the night of their life. They (Reese mostly as Beck doesn't love the attention) were toasting (with coke) with anyone and everyone, watching various employees demonstrate their talents including a dance to "loosen up my buttons babe" by 8 guys, several karaoke-Esq performances, martial arts and more. A bubble machine, strobe light, hand clappers and balloons were all they needed to distract them from noticing the 350+ who had a cigarette in one hand, and a beer and glass of wine in the other! It was quit the experience. I had some guy come behind me and "lift " me up and turn me around towards the back of the ballroom to take a picture with me. It was extremely awkward to say the least!



Saturday morning we went with some of Tanner's co-workers to see the Guishan Han Tomb (think Egyptian pyramids Chinese style). The tomb was created for the sixth King Chu Liu Zhu and his wife who reigned during the Han Dynasty. It was amazing to think that it is roughly 2000 years old and was made with such precision. The water source for the tomb just right outside of the kitchen room has drains that lead outside. Still to this day they do not know where the water source comes from.





This guy was selling these handmade clay figurines. No surprise that Beck still has is and Reese's was broken by the next day!


Can't believe I caught this photo...it looks like a painting!

2 comments:

  1. LOVE the photo of the man at the end! You are becoming quite the photographer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Katie! Love reading through your blog! So, we are moving to England and I was wondering if you may have time to email me some advice/tips for moving overseas. England is not nearly as far as China, but hoping you may have some good info! I noticed that you guys maybe got a container to send all your stuff and I am interested in that. If you get a chance (or might be willing) to email me, my email address is blanchk6@gmail.com

    I would LOVE to hear more about your adventures in Shanghai! Thanks!
    Kristen (Blanch) Wilson

    ReplyDelete